Registration is due August 15, 2011.
In collaboration with the Gateway Foundation, the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis created the Great Rivers Biennial Visual Arts Awards Program to provide St. Louis-based artists with a platform to the national art world. The goal of this awards program is to identify talented artists working in the St. Louis area and provide them with financial assistance, create a broader visibility of their work in both the Midwest and national arts communities, and provide professional support from visiting critics, curators, and dealers.
Artists in all stages of career development are invited to submit work from any of the following categories:
- Film and video
- Mixed media
To be eligible for participation in the Great Rivers Biennial Visual Arts Awards Program, artists must reside in the St. Louis metro area, including St. Louis City and the counties of Saint Louis, Jefferson, and St. Charles in Missouri, or St. Clair, Madison, and Monroe in Illinois, for at least one year prior to the application deadline of August 15, 2011.
Jurors will review all submissions that meet the eligibility requirements and select up to three emerging artists. The Great Rivers Biennial winners will produce new work for a May 2012 group exhibition that occupies the entirety of the Contemporary’s Main Galleries.
The jurors for the Great Rivers Biennial 2012 are Lisa Dorin, Associate Curator of Contemporary Art at The Art Institute of Chicago; Jeffrey Grove, Hoffman Family Senior Curator of Contemporary Art at the Dallas Museum of Art; and Lydia Yee, Curator, Barbican Art Gallery, London.
Please review carefully
- You must currently reside in the metro area, including St. Louis City and the counties of St. Louis, Jefferson and St. Charles in Missouri, or St. Clair and Madison in Illinois.
- A degree-seeking graduate student in his or her final year of study may apply.
- You must have lived in the St. Louis metro area (six counties) for at least one year prior to the application deadline (August 15, 2011).
- You must continue to reside in the St. Louis metro area during the designated period (September 2011-August 2012).
- You must be willing to participate in the winner’s exhibition at the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis.
- Your work must fall within the areas of drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, mixed media, and/or multi-media.
- You must have an active email account. All communication will be done through email.
- Previous winners of the Great Rivers Biennial are not eligible to submit their work again.
Images and Format
- Submit exactly eight images of work. Any additional images will not be reviewed or considered.
- Please submit work that is similar in style to new work that will be created for the culminating exhibition (May 2012).
- Images must be submitted by CD.
- Image must be in JPEG format. Images must be no larger than 8 x 10 inches or 300 dpi and should be RGB.
- Please make sure that the images are oriented correctly and in the order in which you want them to be viewed.
- Label the exterior of the CD with your name and the date of submission.
- Submit a word document that includes complete credit lines for each image (your name, date, title of work, medium and dimensions).
- Do not send original materials. Do not send print images.
- For video or multi-media work, please submit an excerpt of 5 minutes DVD format. For web, please provide a link. For all other multi-media works, Quick Time or Power Point is required.
Résumé/CV & Statement
- Submit a two-page résumé/CV and a one-page statement about your current work and the new work you will be making during the grant period.
- Include participation in exhibitions and awards or scholarships received to date.
- Home and studio addresses, emails and phone numbers should be included on the résumé/CV.
- Do not send additional materials (e.g. catalogs or articles).
Please Note: Great Rivers Biennial WILL NOT ACCEPT ORIGINAL OR HARD FILE MATERIALS such as slides, press clippings, books, or reviews. Please DO NOT send these materials as they will not be returned, nor will these items be taken into consideration for winner selection.
Great Rivers Biennial 2012
Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis
3750 Washington Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63108
All Great Rivers Biennial correspondence will be done through email.