The Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis seeks a polished and well-organized Assistant to the
Director. This position also serves as liaison to the Board of Directors and oversees office
administrative functions, including all IT and communications systems. The ideal candidate has excellent interpersonal and communication skills and will demonstrate a high level of poise and discretion.
- Organize priorities and handle inquiries for the Executive Director.
- Facilitate Executive Director’s correspondence, including phone, email, and mail.
- Arrange travel for Executive Director and visiting guests.
- Support the office of the Executive Director with other duties as assigned.
Board of Directors Liaison
- Schedule Board and committee meetings.
- Attend all Board meetings (6x year) and record meeting minutes.
- Communicate with Board members and CAM staff on Board-related matters.
- Develop, maintain, and distribute minutes, agendas, reports, and commitment forms.
- Exercise a high level of discretion regarding Board-related topics.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service while interacting with museum guests and visitors.
- Plan all-staff events, such as weekly staff meetings and annual retreats, and record
- Assist Deputy Director with on-boarding new staff members.
- Troubleshoot issues and coordinate with IT (computer, telephone, printer, copier, etc.)
- Manage Google Workspace, including permissions, groups, and users.
- Maintain administrative offices, including supply inventory.
- Maintain overall cleanliness of offices and common spaces, including kitchen and
- Organize and maintain museum archive.
- Aid in the organization of CAM’s intern program, consisting of special fellows and
- university-compensated interns.
- Promote seasonal internship opportunities at CAM (fall, spring, and summer).
- Review intern applications and coordinate with museum departments to conduct interviews as necessary.
- Set up all intern workstations and equipment.
- Create professional development programming, including networking, resume and cover letter writing, and museum career pathways.
- Bachelor’s degree; equivalent experience will be considered as commensurate with a degree.
- Experience in museum, nonprofit, or arts management preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrates good judgment and high level of discretion when necessary.
- Demonstrated commitment to values of diversity, equity, access, and inclusion.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Upbeat attitude; enthusiastic problem-solver.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task under pressure.
- Proficiency with technology, including Google Workspace, Google Drive cloud storage, donor database, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, on both PC and Mac operating systems.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- On occasion, ability to work evenings and weekends for CAM programs.
- Staff or volunteer management experience preferred.
Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion:
The Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis is committed to embracing diversity, practicing equity, and ensuring accessibility and inclusion. We will continually strive to achieve a welcoming
environment in all our spaces, where staff, artists, board, and community feel reflected and valued for their unique perspectives and backgrounds. DEAI values will guide and impact all the decisions the museum makes, both internal and external, so that we are choosing a path toward ongoing transformation.
We embolden ourselves to carry out these values by:
- Acknowledging our place in and actively working against our national problem of systemic racism and white supremacy;
- Ensuring that underrepresented voices are included and heard;
- Seeking out and building partnerships that represent our DEAI values;
- Continuing to be a free gathering space and an open forum for ideas.
We enthusiastically take on the work of change. To remain true to these core values, we will hold ourselves accountable through a perpetual process of reflection and responsive action.
This is a full-time position. Compensation, including benefits, is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The salary range for this position is $52,000–60,000.
Please click “Apply Here” to be forwarded to the application portal. In order to apply, you must
create a free account for Submittable. You will be asked to upload a cover letter and resume.
Applications will be acknowledged.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but priority consideration will be given to those received by July 1, 2022.
About the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis
The Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis creates meaningful engagement with the most relevant and innovative art being made today. Founded by civic and cultural leaders in 1980, the Museum transformed from a small gallery into an internationally recognized arts institution, now
permanently housed in a flexible, open, and inviting building designed by renowned
American architect Brad Cloepfil. CAM’s distinct architecture reflects the organization’s values and supports a dynamic range of exhibitions, public programs, educational initiatives, and community
collaborations. The only museum in the region solely dedicated to contemporary art, CAM is one of the preeminent non-collecting institutions of its kind in the United States. We are a site for
discovery, a welcoming space, free and open to all. For more information, visit camstl.org.