The Residency will take place during the spring 2021 school semester and will be approximately 10 weeks long. The artist will receive a stipend of approximately $1,300. If selected the artist must be available throughout the entirety of a quarter to:
- Respond to time-sensitive e-mail correspondence throughout and leading up to the program
- Work with the School and Community Programs Manager to develop curriculum that will enable the classes to acquire the knowledge, skills, and technique required to complete their respective projects
- Be available to teach virtually from 8:00 AM to 11:30 AM on Mondays and Wednesdays
- Be available to teach virtually for approximately 40 hours of classroom instruction
- Help/direct/be present for final installation/opening night/other culminating events*
*Details dependent upon project
- Fourth quarter: Mar 29–June 3, 2021
CAM is accepting applications for the fourth quarter of the second semester.
- Expose the students to the artistic techniques and creative process of the artist’s practice
- Give students a platform for self-discovery and expression
- Expose students to the manifold occupational options in the arts
- Increase student visual literacy and their ability to articulate ideas
Vashon High School Partnership
First founded in 1927, Vashon is the second oldest historically black high school west of the Mississippi River. Three campuses later, the high school presently lies on Cass Avenue in St. Louis’ JeffVanderLou neighborhood. The school has been a focus of the St. Louis Public School initiative to raise performance levels via partnerships with community organizations. In 2017, Vashon had been without a consistent art program for approximately five years. In response, the school partnered with the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis to bring a new, innovative art curriculum to the school. Each quarter, CAM invites a new resident artist to devise an original and challenging project proposal for up to three art classes, and then to guide students to the project’s completion.
Vashon High School is located at 3035 Cass Ave, St. Louis, MO 63106.