The Residency will take place during the 2019-2020 school year. Each residency will be approximately 10 weeks long (see below for residency sessions). The artist will receive a stipend of approximately $1,300. If selected the artist must be available throughout the entirety of a quarter to:
- Respond to time-sensitive e-mail correspondence throughout and leading up to the program
- Work with the School Programs Manager to develop curriculum that will enable the classes to acquire the knowledge, skills, and technique required to complete their respective projects
- Be present for approximately 40 hours of classroom instruction
- Help/direct/be present for final installation/opening night/other culminating events
- Preference is given to artists who have prior teaching experience
- First quarter: Aug 13–Oct 11, 2019
- Second quarter: Oct 14–Dec 20, 2019
- Third quarter: Jan 6–Mar 6, 2020
- Fourth quarter: Mar 9–May 21, 2020
CAM is accepting applications for all four quarters. Priority will be given to those who apply for the first and second quarters.
- Expose the students to the artistic techniques and creative process of the artist’s practice (past projects include sculpture/installation, papermaking, printmaking, digital portraiture, and large-scale narrative paintings)
- Give students a platform for self-discovery and expression
- Expose students to the manifold occupational options in the arts
- Increase student visual literacy and their ability to articulate ideas
Vashon High School Partnership
Founded in 1927, Vashon is the second oldest historically black high school west of the Mississippi River. Vashon has been a focus of the St. Louis Public School initiative to raise performance levels via partnerships with community organizations. In 2017, after approximately five years of operating without a consistent art program, Vashon collaborated with CAM to bring a new, innovative art curriculum to the school. Each quarter, CAM has invited a new resident artist to devise an original and challenging project for two introductory art classes and guide students to the project’s completion.
Vashon High School is located at 3035 Cass Ave, St. Louis, MO 63106.